Thursday, August 24, 2017

Lessons That Linger



Emily, my friend from Italy, emailed me the other day. It got me thinking about the life lessons I learned in six years there that carry over to my life in Florida:

Join a women's group. Emily introduced me to her women's group and they helped smooth my way into life in Italy. I did the same when I moved here- met a friend who brought me to her women's group. They are, in fact, my neighbors and now my friends. It's a great way to become part of a new area.

Eat local food. Every Wednesday our town, Cittá Sant'Angelo, had an open market that sold fresh fruits and vegetables. It drove our menu and made me realize that local food tastes better, costs less and is better for us, the farmers and the planet. My area of Jacksonville has a market on Saturday, Riverside Arts Market, that also offers local, fresh food, home-made goodies, plants, flowers, art and crafts. As a bonus, I discovered a vendor who imports my favorite olives from Italy. Score!

Grow herbs in the yard and flowers that attract bees and butterflies. My yard here is bigger than my small balcony in Italy so more herbs and flowers add to my great pleasure and the bees and butterflies' delight.







Cherish art and support the museums that expose me to it. Italy really woke me up to this imperative. Though I have less exposure here, the local museum, the Cummer Museum, has a wide-ranging collection and brings in new exhibitions. Their gardens located on the St. John's river include an Italian garden that I treasure.

Exercise regularly. I continue to run three times a week but now have a running group to join with on the weekend. This brings me a whole new level of fun and camaraderie. I've also joined the local Y for further workouts. All together it keeps me healthy and happy.

Drink good wine and only use good olive oil. An important Italian legacy well maintained.

Good neighbors, both in Italy and here, are gifts of grace. Let them know it.

Practice gratitude. Say it out loud. Today I'm grateful for rain on my garden after a stretch of days in the 90s. I'm grateful for a dozen key limes ripening on the tree I planted after my father died last year. I'm grateful that I love my life.

How about you, what lessons endure for you?


2 comments:

  1. These are great lessons from Italy that helped shape our life in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We learned the same lessons and are using them in Malta. Memories carry with us too of sharing the learning with you guys xx

    ReplyDelete