Saturday, September 9, 2017

The Calm Before The Storm

Irma is on its way. The sheer size of it is daunting as it batters all in its path. When it shifted slightly west, the east coast of Florida took no comfort since this hurricane is the size of Texas. It covers both coasts of Florida. All our preparations are completed, all supplies purchased, all safety plans in place. We just await Irma's arrival.

The sky turned gray early this morning with clouds full of rain from another smaller storm. Wind starts to stir the trees where yesterday they stood still. The yard is clear of all furniture, moveable plants and decorative fixtures less they become projectiles. The brick work and flagstone paths get to show off without competition. The plants, new this spring, are in for a good soaking after braving the hot summer. I feel close to them since I fuss over them daily since they came. Besides their colorful beauty, they attract butterflies and bees and let me think I help counteract their dwindling numbers.





The Purple Heart plant surrounds the statue of St Francis now. It spreads its stems, accented by small dark pink flowers, vigorously. The whole display is an unplanned result of losing the three foot diameter water oak that used to grow there. That meant a stump in need of camouflage. And the local garden store threw a sale to clear space for summer items. St Francis carried an extra discount since his residence in the store was longer then anticipated. The statue has special meaning to me and to my Honey because of some spiritually significant trips to Assisi when we lived in Italy. He brings happy memories.



Weather updates stream on any device I open. Take this seriously they say. Take shelter. I decided to dial down the anxiety and take a walk in the yard. I love my yard. It brings me peace. All moveable plants now reside in the narrower alley next to the house where they are more protected and have each other's company. It makes me feel better.




I'll head for my sister-in-law and niece's tomorrow as they have a generator and generous hearts. Loss of electricity is a given according to Jacksonville's mayor. All else is unknown at this time other than Irma hits tomorrow evening or night. I wait. I hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment